Tater tots are a beloved side dish or snack made of fried or baked potatoes. Getting that perfect crispy exterior and fluffy interior when reheating tater tots can be tricky. This guide will walk you through how to reheat tater tots using a microwave, oven, and air fryer so they come out hot and crispy every time.
Reheating Tater Tots in the Microwave
The microwave provides a quick and easy way to reheat tater tots.
- Arrange the tater tots in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate. This allows them to heat evenly.
- Microwave the tater tots on high power for 1-2 minutes. The time will vary based on amount and your microwave wattage.
- Check the tater tots at 1 minute. Microwave in 30 second intervals until heated through.
- Let the tater tots stand 1 minute after microwaving to allow the insides to fully heat.
The microwave produces a soft, pillowy interior. While convenient, it won’t recreate the crispy exterior of freshly baked tater tots.
Oven Baked Tater Tots
The oven makes tater tots crispy on the outside while heating them through.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Arrange tater tots in a single layer on the baking sheet. Make sure they aren’t overlapping.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through. Monitor closely near the end to avoid burning.
- For maximum crispness, turn oven to broil for 1-2 minutes at the end. Keep a close eye to avoid scorching.
The dry heat of the oven will give you a nice crunch!
Crispy Air Fried Tater Tots
An air fryer will recreate that deep fried crispness without all the oil.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
- Add tater tots to fryer basket in a single layer, being careful not to overcrowd.
- Air fry for 6-8 minutes, shaking basket halfway through.
- Increase time if needed to reach desired crispness on exterior.
The air fryer is the way to go for crispy, crunchy tater tot reheating perfection!
- Tater tots are made from small pellets of potato that are deep fried, baked, or air fried until crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
- They make a handy freezer food – tater tots can be cooked, cooled completely, then frozen in a single layer before storing in airtight bags or containers.
- Leftover baked tater tots won’t get as crispy when reheated compared to deep fried or air fried tots. The oven method will be the crispiest for baked tater tots.
- For food safety, reheat tater tots within 3-4 days if refrigerating and 1-2 months if frozen. Reheated tater tots should reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
How do you get tater tots crispy again?
Use the oven or air fryer! The dry heat from these appliances will recrisp the exterior.
Can you reheat tater tots more than once?
It’s best to only reheat tater tots once for food safety. Reheating more than that allows bacteria to grow.
How do you reheat a lot of tater tots?
Use multiple pans when reheating a large batch in the oven. For the air fryer, work in batches, allowing the oil to reheat between each batch.
How do you crisp up leftover fried tater tots?
Use the air fryer or conventional oven. Air frying provides the closest texture and crispness to deep fried.
Can you reheat tater tots on the stove?
Yes, you can reheat in a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add a little oil and keep them moving for even crisping.
What’s the best way to reheat a lot of tater tots for a crowd?
I’d recommend reheating in batches in a 400°F oven or air fryer. It may take longer, but ensures they all get evenly crispy.
Is there a way to reheat tater tots and get them crispy in the microwave?
Wrapping in a paper towel or microwave crisper sleeve can help pull some moisture away. But the microwave won’t get them truly crispy on the outside.
- Allow cooked tater tots to cool completely before refrigerating in an airtight container. This prevents moisture from building up.
- Don’t overcrowd when reheating in the oven or air fryer. Too many can steam instead of crisping.
- Toss cooled tater tots in a tablespoon of oil before reheating for extra crispness.
- Cut reheating time in half if starting with fully cooked thawed tater tots.
- Use a non-stick pan or line with parchment when oven baking for easy release.
- For crisp microwave reheating, wrap tots in a paper towel or clean tea towel. The towel helps absorb moisture.
- Undercook tater tots slightly when baking or air frying for the first time. They’ll crisp up better when reheating.
- Toss par-cooked tater tots in cornstarch or potato starch before freezing. This helps revive the crispness.
- Reheating baked or air fried tots? Give them a quick spray with oil before putting them in the oven or air fryer.
Loaded Tater Tot Nachos
- Reheat tater tots in oven.
- Top with taco meat, beans, cheese, salsa, guacamole, and jalapeños.
Tater Tot Breakfast Bake
- Combine tater tots, scrambled eggs, cheese, and bacon or sausage.
- Bake in the oven until hot and crispy.
Tater Tot Poutine
- Reheat tater tots in the air fryer or oven.
- Top with cheese curds and hot gravy.
- Toshiba EM131A5C-BS Microwave Oven with Smart Sensor, 1.2 Cu.ft, Stainless Steel
- Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SN67KS Countertop/Built-In with Inverter Technology and Genius Sensor, 1.2 Cu. Ft, Stainless Steel
- LG NeoChefTM Smart Countertop Microwave Oven with EasyClean® Interior, 1.5 Cu. Ft, Stainless Steel
- Breville Quick Touch BMO734XL 1800W Countertop Bluetooth Microwave, 1.7 Cu. ft, Stainless Steel
- GE JES1365SKSS Countertop Microwave Oven, 1.3 Cu. Ft, Stainless Steel
- Samsung NE59M6850SS Electric Smart Range Convection Oven, 5.9 Cu. Ft, Stainless Steel
- GE JB655SKSS 30″ Free-Standing Electric Range Convection Oven, 5.3 Cu. Ft, Stainless Steel
- LG LDE4415ST Electric Double Oven Range, 6.3 Cu. Ft Total Capacity, Stainless Steel
- Whirlpool WGE745C0FS 30″ Electric Double Oven Range, 5.8 Cu. Ft Total Capacity, Fingerprint Resistant Stainless Steel
- Frigidaire FFET3025PS Gallery 30” Electric Double Wall Oven, 6.7 Cu. Ft. Total Capacity, Smudge-Proof Stainless Steel
- Cosori Air Fryer Max XL 5.8 Quart Electric Hot Oven Oilless Cooker LED Touch Digital Screen with 13 Cooking Functions
- Ninja AF101 Air Fryer, 4 Qt, Black/gray
- Instant Vortex Plus 6 Quart Air Fryer Oven Combo, Digital Touchscreen, Customizable Smart Cooking Programs, Matte Black
- Philips Premium Airfryer XXL with Fat Removal Technology, Black, HD9630/98
- CHEFMAN 6.5 Quart Digital Air Fryer+ Rotisserie, Dehydrator, Convection Oven, LCD Digital Display, BPA Free, ETL Certified, Black/Stainless Steel
Reheating tater tots is easy with the right technique. Now you can enjoy tater tot deliciousness without the wait by using your microwave, oven, or air fryer. With these handy instructions, you’ll have crispy, crunchy tater tots ready in no time.