Lasagna is a delicious Italian dish that typically consists of layers of pasta, cheese, meat sauce, and other ingredients like ricotta, vegetables, and seasonings. It’s a hearty, comforting meal that’s perfect for feeding a crowd. Leftover lasagna also makes for easy meals throughout the week. However, reheating lasagna properly is important to maintain its taste and texture. Follow these tips to reheat your lasagna perfectly every time.
Reheating Frozen Lasagna
If you have a frozen lasagna ready to be reheated, follow these steps:
- Thaw the frozen lasagna overnight in the refrigerator. This prevents the edges from cooking before the center is warmed through.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Remove the aluminum foil or plastic wrap from the lasagna.
- Place the lasagna on a baking sheet and cover it loosely with foil. Bake for 45-60 minutes until heated through. Check it occasionally and tent the foil if the top is browning too much.
- Let the lasagna rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving. The resting time allows the heated layers to absorb moisture.
Reheating Lasagna in the Oven
For leftover refrigerated lasagna, here is how to reheat it in the oven:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cover your lasagna loosely with foil and place it on a baking sheet or oven-safe dish.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes until heated through. Check it halfway and tent the foil if the top is getting too browned.
- Allow the lasagna to rest 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Reheating Lasagna in the Microwave
The microwave provides a quick way to reheat a small portion of lasagna:
- Place a piece of lasagna on a microwave-safe plate. Cover it loosely with a paper towel or vented plastic wrap to prevent splattering.
- Microwave on Medium power in 1-2 minute intervals until heated through, checking between intervals. Microwave ovens vary, so monitor carefully.
- Allow to rest 2-3 minutes before eating. The short standing time will continue to distribute heat evenly.
Reheating Lasagna in an Air Fryer
An air fryer makes lasagna crispy on the top and edges. Follow these air fryer reheating instructions:
- Preheating the air fryer is not necessary. Cut a piece of lasagna to fit your air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 350°F for 4-8 minutes until hot, checking frequently to avoid overcooking.
- Use tongs to remove the lasagna carefully once crispy on top. Be cautious of hot cheese.
- Let rest 2-3 minutes before serving.
How Long to Reheat Lasagna
Reheating time depends on the portion size, appliance used, and whether the lasagna is frozen or refrigerated:
- Frozen lasagna: 45-60 minutes in the oven
- Refrigerated lasagna: 30-45 minutes in the oven
- Lasagna pieces: 1-2 minutes in the microwave; 4-8 minutes in the air fryer
Check for doneness and add time if needed for the center to be piping hot.
Preventing Dry Lasagna When Reheating
To keep lasagna moist and prevent drying out when reheating, follow these tips:
- Use foil loosely over the dish to trap steam and moisture.
- Add sauce or a splash of water to the baking dish before covering with foil.
- Bake at 350°F and check halfway through, tenting foil if top is browning too much.
- Allow a resting period before cutting for moisture to redistribute.
- Stir any dried edges into the center instead of discarding them.
Storing and Freezing Leftover Lasagna
Refrigerate leftover lasagna within 2 hours and use within 3-4 days. To freeze lasagna:
- Allow lasagna to cool completely, then cover tightly with foil or plastic wrap.
- Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in fridge before reheating.
- Cut into individual portions before freezing for quick reheating.
Common Questions about Reheating Lasagna
Q: What is the best way to reheat a small slice of lasagna?
A: Microwaving is the quickest way to reheat a single portion of lasagna. Place it on a microwave-safe plate, cover with a paper towel, and microwave in 1-minute intervals until hot. Let it rest 2 minutes before eating.
Q: Can you reheat lasagna in the slow cooker?
A: Yes, add 1/2 cup of water to the slow cooker, then add foil-covered lasagna and cook on low for 4 hours. Check halfway through and add more water if needed.
Q: Is it safe to reheat lasagna more than once?
A: It’s best not to reheat lasagna more than once. The second reheat can make it dry or lead to unsafe bacterial growth. Refrigerate leftovers promptly and reheat only once.
Tips for reheating Lasagna
- If reheating a whole lasagna in the oven, allow extra time for larger pans. An 8×8 baking dish may need 1 hour or more at 350°F.
- Place a baking sheet under your lasagna pan to catch any drips and prevent burning on the bottom.
- Cover tightly with foil when reheating to trap in moisture. Tenting leaves the edges exposed to drying out.
- Add a teaspoon of water per slice if reheating lasagna pieces in the microwave. The extra moisture prevents drying.
- Stir gently after microwaving to distribute moisture to any dry spots. Be careful of hot cheese.
- When using the stove or skillet, reheat lasagna over medium-low heat while adding small amounts of water or sauce.
- Preheat your broiler and broil lasagna 3-5 minutes to gently brown the top after microwaving. Watch closely to avoid burning.
- Allow a standing time after reheating no matter the method. This finishes the heating process and makes the lasagna easier to cut.
- Don’t keep reheated lasagna longer than 2 hours at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers promptly.
- Portion lasagna into smaller containers before freezing for quicksingle-serve reheats later.
- Cut refrigerated lasagna into pieces before reheating for quicker, more even heating.
- Stir in a tablespoon of cream or milk when reheating to make up for lost moisture.
Here are some recommended appliances for reheating lasagna in the microwave, oven, and air fryer:
- Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SN686S – 1100W of power provides fast, even heating. The inverter technology prevents cold spots.
- Toshiba EM131A5C-BS Microwave Oven – Features a mute function for quiet operation and a spacious 1.2 cubic ft capacity. The smart sensor adjusts heat as needed.
- LG LDE4415ST Electric Double Oven Range – Has a large 5.3 cubic ft capacity oven to easily fit lasagna pans. The ProBake Convection setting helps prevent dry edges.
- GE JB860SJSS 30″ Electric Double Oven – This double oven allows you to reheat lasagna in one oven while cooking something else in the second oven.
- Cosori Air Fryer Max XL – Its 5.8 qt basket fits larger lasagna pieces. The 11 one-touch cooking functions include a reheat setting.
- Ninja AF101 Air Fryer – The 4-qt ceramic-coated basket is nonstick and easy to clean. Features temperature control up to 400°F.
- Instant Vortex Plus 7-in-1 Air Fryer Oven – Has a 6 quart capacity and a lasagna crisper tray perfect for reheating crispy edges on lasagna slices.
We recommend looking for microwaves with at least 1000W power, oven capacity of 4+ cubic ft, and air fryers with temperature control for best lasagna reheating results. Let us know if you need any other appliance recommendations!