Egg rolls are a delicious appetizer that can be enjoyed hot or cold. However, they taste best when served warm and crispy right out of the oven or fryer. Luckily, there are several easy methods for reheating leftover egg rolls to restore that just-made crunchiness.
Reheating Egg Rolls in the Oven
The oven allows you to reheat multiple egg rolls at once while producing a crispy exterior.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Place the egg rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or lightly greased foil. Make sure they are not touching each other.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until hot and crispy. Check frequently to avoid overcooking.
- For an extra crispy texture, brush the egg rolls lightly with oil before baking.
Tips for Oven-Reheating Egg Rolls
- Place egg rolls in a single layer on the baking sheet with space between each one for even heating.
- Flip the egg rolls halfway during baking for evenly distributed crispiness.
- Avoid overcrowding the pan which can make the egg rolls soggy.
- The reuse time will vary based on how thick and large the egg rolls are. Watch closely to prevent drying out.
Reheating Egg Rolls in the Microwave
The microwave provides a quick method for reheating egg rolls using just a paper towel.
- Place egg rolls on a microwave-safe plate lined with a paper towel.
- Microwave on high in 30 second intervals until heated through, flipping halfway. Check frequently to avoid overcooking.
- Let the egg rolls sit for 1 minute before serving so the filling can redistribute heat.
Tips for Microwave Reheating
- The paper towel will absorb moisture and prevent sogginess.
- Microwave just 2-3 egg rolls at a time to ensure even cooking.
- Watch the time carefully as microwaves vary in power.
- Flip halfway and rearrange as needed for hot spots.
- Letting them rest before eating allows for crispier texture.
Reheating Egg Rolls in the Air Fryer
An air fryer will give you hot and crispy egg rolls in just minutes with little to no oil needed.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
- Place egg rolls in air fryer basket in a single layer, not overcrowded.
- Cook for 4-6 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Repeat with any remaining egg rolls.
Tips for Air Fryer Reheating
- Work in batches to avoid cramming the air fryer, which can make egg rolls greasy.
- Brush egg rolls lightly with oil for added crispness if desired.
- Adjust time based on thickness of egg roll wrapper and size.
- The hot air will penetrate and heat the filling quickly.
- Let cool 1-2 minutes before eating to allow heat to balance out.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to reheat egg rolls in the oven?
It takes 10-15 minutes in a 400°F oven to thoroughly reheat 4-6 egg rolls. Watch closely to avoid drying them out.
What temperature should I reheat egg rolls at in the oven?
400°F is ideal for reheating egg rolls in the oven. It crisps the exterior wrapper without overcooking the inside.
How do you keep egg rolls crispy in the oven?
Brush egg roll wrappers lightly with oil before baking. Bake in a single layer on a lined pan. Avoid overcrowding and flip halfway through for evenly crispy texture.
How long does it take to reheat egg rolls in the microwave?
Microwave egg rolls in 30 second intervals until hot, flipping halfway. The time will depend on your microwave power, but usually 1-2 minutes total.
Should egg rolls be covered when microwaving?
No, do not cover egg rolls while microwaving. Leave uncovered on a paper towel-lined plate so steam can escape, preventing sogginess.
How can I reheat egg rolls without a microwave?
You can reheat egg rolls in the oven at 400°F for 10-15 minutes. An air fryer at 400°F also works great in just 4-6 minutes.
How do you reheat egg rolls to be crispy?
Crispy egg rolls are best reheated in the oven or air fryer. Microwaving can make them soggy. Make sure egg rolls are spaced out and not overcrowded when reheating.
Other Cooking Tips
- For a crispy texture, brush egg roll wrappers with oil or nonstick cooking spray before reheating.
- Flip egg rolls over halfway during the reheating process for evenly distributed heat and texture.
- Reheating egg rolls in the oven at a high temperature (400°F) produces the crispiest results.
- An air fryer also reheats egg rolls crispy and oil-free at a temperature of 400°F.
- Never microwave egg rolls for longer than 30 seconds at a time to avoid sogginess.
- Let egg rolls rest for 1-2 minutes out of the oven or microwave before serving for optimal texture.
Classic Egg Rolls
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork or chicken
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 10 egg roll wrappers
- Oil for frying
- In a bowl, mix together cabbage, carrot, green onion, pork/chicken, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and ginger.
- Place 2-3 tbsp of filling diagonally on each egg roll wrapper. Fold bottom corner over filling, fold sides inward, and roll up tightly into a cylinder.
- Heat 1-2 inches of oil in a pan or pot to 350°F. Fry egg rolls 2-3 at a time for 2-3 minutes until golden brown, flipping once.
- Drain on a paper towel-lined plate before serving hot.
Spicy Southwestern Egg Rolls
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1⁄2 tsp oregano
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 10 egg roll wrappers
- Oil for frying
- Avocado or cilantro salsa, for dipping
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook ground turkey in oil until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Add onion, jalapeño, garlic and spices. Cook 2-3 more minutes until softened. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Mix in shredded cheese. Place 2-3 tbsp filling diagonally on each egg roll wrapper. Roll up tightly.
- Fry egg rolls in 350°F oil for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with salsa for dipping.
Here are 5 recommended models for each appliance category to reheat egg rolls:
- Panasonic NN-SN966S – 1250W, 2.2 cu. ft. capacity
- Toshiba EM131A5C-BS – 1100W, 1.2 cu. ft. capacity
- GE JES1656SRSS – 950W, 1.6 cu. ft. capacity
- Breville Quick Touch BMO734XL – 1200W, 0.7 cu. ft. capacity
- Galanz G80F1DMSQ-A5 – 1000W, 0.9 cu. ft. capacity
- GE JT5000SFSS – 5.3 cu. ft. electric single wall oven
- Bosch HBL5451UC – 5.1 cu. ft. electric single wall oven
- Frigidaire FFEW2726TS – 5.3 cu. ft. electric single wall oven
- LG LDE4415ST – 6.3 cu. ft. electric double wall oven
- Whirlpool WOS31ES7JS – 4.8 cu. ft. electric single wall oven
- Cosori CO130-AO 12-in-1 Air Fryer Oven Combo
- Ninja AF101 Air Fryer
- Instant Vortex Plus 7-in-1 Air Fryer Oven
- Philips Premium Airfryer XXL
- Dash Deluxe Electric Air Fryer
In conclusion, egg rolls can be easily reheated in the oven, microwave, or air fryer for a hot, crispy snack or appetizer. Proper technique is key to avoiding soggy egg rolls. Brush with oil, don’t overcrowd, and adjust time based on appliance.