A calzone is a delicious stuffed pizza pocket that is baked or fried. However, calzones often have leftovers that need proper reheating. This article provides tips on the best ways to reheat calzones using a microwave, oven, air fryer or steamer so they come out hot, crispy and as delicious as when first baked.
Reheating a Calzone in the Microwave
The microwave provides a quick and convenient way to reheat a calzone. Here are the steps:
- Unwrap the calzone and place it on a microwave-safe plate.
- Microwave the calzone on high power for 60-90 seconds. This helps make the dough and filling hot.
- Check if the calzone is hot enough. If not, microwave for additional 30 seconds.
- Let the microwaved calzone rest for 1-2 minutes before serving. This lets the filling cool down a bit.
- Slice the calzone open and enjoy!
The microwave can make the calzone dough chewy and soft. So microwaving works best for briefly reheating the calzone before eating.
Reheating a Calzone in the Oven
The oven reheats a calzone evenly for a crispy crust. Follow these instructions:
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the calzone directly on the oven rack or on a baking sheet.
- Heat the calzone for 10-15 minutes until the crust is crispy and cheese is melted.
- For a more browned crust, turn on the oven broiler for 1-2 minutes after oven heating.
- Let the calzone cool for 2-3 minutes before slicing and serving.
The oven provides an evenly heated calzone with a crisper crust. Be careful not to overcook or the dough can become hard.
Reheating a Calzone in an Air Fryer
An air fryer makes calzones crispy on the outside and hot inside. Here is how to use it:
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 350°F.
- Place the calzone in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 3-5 minutes until the dough is crisped and cheese melted.
- Open the air fryer and flip the calzone over.
- Air fry for 2-3 additional minutes to evenly crisp both sides.
- Allow the calzone to rest for 2 minutes before serving.
The air fryer gives the calzone a delicious crispy crust like it just came out of the oven. Be careful not to overcook or the dough can become hard.
Reheating a Calzone with a Steamer
A steamer uses steam heat to reheat a calzone gently. Follow these steps:
- Bring water to a boil in a steamer pot.
- Place the calzone in the steamer basket or on a plate above the boiling water.
- Steam the calzone for 4-6 minutes until hot. Check frequently.
- Remove from steamer and let rest for 1-2 minutes before eating.
Steaming avoids making the reheated calzone dough tough or dry. But it can make the crust slightly soggy.
Tips for Reheating Calzones
- All reheating methods work best for a freshly baked calzone within 1-3 days.
- Leftover calzones stored in the fridge can be reheated but the crust may not be as crispy.
- Frozen calzones require more time to reheat from a frozen state first.
- Add a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese on top before reheating for extra gooeyness!
- Reheated calzones taste best when served immediately while hot and crispy.
- Always reheat fully cooked calzones, don’t try to reheat a cold or raw one.
- Reheat calzones in shorter intervals if reheating in the microwave to prevent overcooking.
- If reheating multiple calzones, leave space between them on the baking sheet so they crisp up properly.
- For a crisper crust, you can reheat the calzone directly on the oven rack.
- Let calzones rest for 1-2 minutes after reheating before cutting to allow steam to escape.
- Add any toppings like parmesan, spices or sauce after reheating so they don’t burn.
Q: How should I reheat a calzone?
A: The best way to reheat a calzone is in the oven. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Place the calzone directly on the oven rack or on a baking sheet. Heat for 10-15 minutes until hot and crispy.
Q: Can I reheat a calzone in the microwave?
A: Yes, you can reheat a calzone in the microwave but it won’t get as crispy. Microwave for 60-90 seconds at a time, checking frequently, until heated through. Place it on a paper towel and let it stand for 1-2 minutes after microwaving to allow the crust to crisp up a bit.
Q: Should I put anything on the calzone while reheating?
A: Brushing the top of the calzone with a little bit of olive oil or melted butter can help it reheat more evenly and get a nice crispy crust in the oven. You can also coat it with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese for extra flavor.
Q: How do I keep the filling from getting soggy?
A: Make sure not to overheat the calzone. Heat it just until the filling is warmed through to prevent the dough from getting soggy. Letting it rest after reheating allows the steam to escape so the dough can recrisp.
Recipes for Reheating Calzones
BBQ Chicken Calzone
- Split BBQ chicken calzone in half.
- Brush both sides with BBQ sauce.
- Heat in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes until hot and crispy.
- Wrap breakfast calzone in foil.
- Heat in a 300°F oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook 5 more minutes to recrisp crust.
Cheese and Spinach Calzone
- Place calzone on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Top with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Heat in a 375°F oven for 12-15 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Toshiba EM131A5C-BS Microwave Oven with Smart Sensor
- Panasonic NN-SN936B Countertop Microwave with Inverter Technology
- LG LMC1575BD 1.5 Cubic Foot Over-the-Range Microwave
- GE JVM3160RFSS 30″ Over-the-Range Microwave Oven
- Sharp R-1874T 1.1 cu. ft. 850W Over the Range Convection Microwave
- GE JT5000SFSS 30″ Electric Single Wall Oven
- LG LDE4415ST Electric Double Wall Oven
- Bosch HBL8451UC 800 30″ Electric Single Wall Oven
- Frigidaire FFET3025PS 30″ Electric Single Wall Oven
- Whirlpool WOS31ES0JS 30″ Electric Single Wall Oven
- Cosori Air Fryer Max XL 5.8 Qt
- Ninja AF101 Air Fryer 4 Qt
- Instant Vortex Plus 6 Qt Air Fryer
- Philips Premium Airfryer XXL
- Chefman TurboFry 3.5 Liter/3.6 Qt Air Fryer
- Aroma Housewares ARC-150SB Rice Cooker & Food Steamer
- Hamilton Beach Digital Food Steamer
- Oster Double Tiered Food Steamer
- Cuisinart STM-1000 CookFresh Digital Glass Steamer
- Aicok 3-Tier Food Steamer
No matter which reheating method you choose, calzones make for quick and tasty leftover meals. Now go enjoy a perfectly reheated calzone!