Burgers are a delicious and satisfying meal. However, leftovers often don’t reheat well, drying out or becoming rubbery in the microwave. Follow these tips for reheating burgers and getting them tasting fresh again.
Can You Reheat a Burger?
Yes, you can reheat burgers! With the right techniques, you can revive even day-old burgers, bringing back their juiciness and flavor. The reheating method depends on if you have just the burger patty or a full burger with bun.
Reheat a Burger with Oven
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Place burger patties or fully assembled burgers on a baking sheet.
- Bake patties uncovered for 10-15 minutes, until heated through. For buns or full burgers, cover with foil and bake 5-10 minutes.
- The gentle oven heat thoroughly warms burgers without drying them out.
Reheat a Burger with Microwave
- Place burger patties on a microwave-safe plate, separated by paper towels which will absorb moisture.
- Microwave on 50% power in 30 second intervals, flipping occasionally, until heated through, about 1-2 minutes.
- Take care not to overcook, which can make burgers tough and dry.
Reheat a Burger with Stovetop
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat. Add a teaspoon of oil or butter.
- Cook burger patties 2-3 minutes per side, pressing gently with a spatula to promote even heating.
- Buns can also be toasted lightly in the skillet to warm and crisp the surface.
- The direct stovetop heat gives a nice flavor but avoid overcooking.
Reheat a Burger with Skillet
- Preparation – Take burger patties out of the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before heating. This helps them cook more evenly.
- Heat the Skillet – Place a cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Allow it to fully preheat before adding burger patties.
- Add a Teaspoon of Oil – Pour a teaspoon of oil or butter into the hot skillet. Tilt pan to coat surface. This prevents sticking and adds flavor.
- Add Patties – Carefully place burger patties in the skillet. Make sure they are not touching each other.
- Cook Time – Allow patties to cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes. Then flip and cook another 2-3 minutes on the other side. Press gently with spatula for even browning.
- Check Temperature – Cook until patties are heated through, about 145°F internally. Avoid overcooking which dries them out.
- Rest and Assemble – Let patties rest 1-2 minutes before assembling onto buns with toppings. Enjoy your tasty reheated burger!
How to Reheat a Burger with Bun
For the best results, bun and burger should be reheated separately.
- Bun: Wrap in foil and place directly on oven rack at 300°F for 5-10 minutes until warm.
- Burger: Use one of the patty reheating methods above.
- Assembly: Build your burger with hot patty and bun for a freshly made taste. Add cheese, lettuce, tomato and other toppings just before serving.
Reheating Plant-Based and Turkey Burgers
The reheating methods apply to non-beef burgers too:
- Plant-based burgers like black bean or veggie burgers reheat well in the oven or skillet. Just follow the same moisture-retaining tips.
- Ground turkey dries out easily so be extra careful when reheating. Use lower microwave power and heat turkey burgers only until warmed through.
- Brush plant-based or turkey burgers with a little oil before reheating for extra moisture and flavor.
How do you keep a burger patty moist when reheating?
- Use gentler heat like an oven or skillet rather than high microwave power.
- Separate patties with paper towels to absorb moisture.
- Brush patties lightly with oil before reheating.
Can you reheat a burger in the microwave?
Yes, you can microwave burgers but use care to avoid overcooking. Use 30 second intervals and lower power. Place paper towels between patties.
How long can you keep cooked burger patties?
Cooked burger patties keep 3-4 days refrigerated. Reheat within this time for the best quality. Discard if they smell bad or look slimy.
Tips for Reheating Burgers
Follow these tips for the best results when reheating burgers:
- Use the oven or skillet rather than the microwave if possible. The gentle, indirect heat helps keep burgers from drying out.
- If microwaving, use a lower power setting and heat in 30 second intervals. Check and flip the burgers in between.
- Let burgers rest for a minute after reheating. This helps retain the heat and moisture.
- If buns are slightly stale, splash them with a little water before heating to freshen up.
- Add cheese slices after reheating so they melt nicely.
- Build burgers with cool toppings like lettuce, tomato, pickles, and condiments to contrast with the hot burger and bun.
- Don’t keep reheated burgers warm in a slow cooker or warmer for more than an hour or two or they’ll dry out.
Here are some specific appliance recommendations for reheating burgers:
- Panasonic NN-SN936B – This 1250W microwave has an inverter technology that provides consistent heating for thorough reheating without overcooking edges or drying out food. The genius sensor adjusts time and power based on the amount of steam produced.
- Toshiba EM131A5C-BS – For a budget option under $100, this 1100W microwave from Toshiba also has a steam sensor to prevent overcooking. The large 1.2 cubic feet capacity can fit bigger plates.
- LG LDE4415ST – This electric range has a roomy 5.3 cubic feet capacity oven that preheats quickly for reheating burgers. The EasyClean® coating resists stains if burger grease spatters.
- GE JB650SKSS – For a basic but reliable gas oven, this GE model reheats food evenly without hot or cold spots. The extra-large 5.0 cubic feet capacity fits multiple burgers.
- All-Clad 12″ Stainless Steel Skillet – This skillet conducts heat evenly and has flared sides that allow steam to escape rather than making food soggy. The premium triple-ply construction is durable but still safe for induction cooktops.
- Lodge 12″ Cast Iron Skillet – For retaining heat and providing a good sear, this pre-seasoned cast iron skillet gets the job done. It can go from stovetop to oven for flexibility. The price is also much lower than other high-end skillets.
Reheating your burgers the right way makes yesterday’s cookout taste like today! Follow these tips for burgers that are juicy and flavorful.